Wednesday, November 17, 2010

TSA FUBAR

I'm trying to decide if the new TSA rules are funny, sad, or just disgusting.

My first thought was that this was some sort of genius marketing ploy by the folks at Amtrak to get people start taking the train instead of flying. And I laughed at the idea of getting a happy ending before boarding a flight (before realizing the pat downs are same sex).

My second thought was that this was just another example of government over-reach and being out of touch (or in this case grossly touchy). Has nobody head of illegal search and seizure? Groping of nuns and children helps security in what manner? How can the government pass such measures in this country? How can they be so clueless? Then I remembered who we actually have in office.

My third thought was that this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Especially when you read that these machines may have been part of a pork deal brokered by an ex-government lobbyist.
The former Secretary of Homeland Security, Michael Chertoff, represents Rapiscan, the company which is selling these scanners to his former department.
If you're not disgusted by the situation by now - you are not paying attention. This is not a Republican or Democrat issue. Chertoff is a Republican and Janet Napolitano is a Democrat. They both should be tarred and feathered.

My only silver-lining is remeberance of this quote:
"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.” Abraham Lincoln
This situation should be short lived. Until then - I refuse to fly. I'll drive or take the train. So help me God.

No comments:

Post a Comment