Saturday, June 06, 2015

The Bubbler

Do you know what a bubbler is? If you do - there's a good chance you're from New England.

For those not in the know - a bubbler (pronounced "bub-lah") is what you'd probably call a drinking fountain. 

Bubbler is one of those words or phrases that are particularly New England. Others include "packie" (short for package store - what you would call a liquor store), "basement" (growing up - kids in school all asked if they could go to the "basement" instead of asking if they could go to the bathroom or restroom) and of course "a large regular" (which is a large coffee with cream and sugar).

I'm not sure if elementary kids in New England even know what a bubbler is anymore. I've been trying to think of the last time I saw a public drinking fountain. My health club has one but people seem to use it to fill their water bottles. Bubbler may just be one of those words that will shortly be lost to history.

No comments:

Post a Comment