Thursday, April 28, 2016

Academy Award Winners - Best Picture

Not sure what spurred this list but out of curiosity I took a look at the past Academy Award winners for Best Picture for the last 30-years. What I was curious about was what movies had I not seen and why and what movies had I seen that I would never watch again. So without further ado...

Movies that won Best Picture that I have not seen:
2015 - Spotlight - not interested in the subject matter
2013 - 12 Years a Slave - not interested in being depressed
2011 - The Artist -  let's be honest - 2011 was not a really good year for movies
2010 - The King's Speech - no excuse for not seeing this. Will probably watch at some point.
2008 - Slumdog Millionaire - meh.
2005 - Crash - my mind subconsciously reads "Crash" as "Crap"
2002 - Chicago - not a fan of musicals
1996 - The English Patient - no interest. Maybe if I was suffering from insomnia.
1989 - Driving Miss Daisy - no interest.

Movies that won Best Picture that I saw but would not watch again:
2014 - Birdman - would have to be high as fuck to sit through this movie again
1999 - American Beauty - do you know anyone who re-watches this flick?

So that's about a third of the movies that won Best Picture over the past 30-years that I've either not seen or would not watch again. I don't think the voters for the Oscars have the same definition of "Best Picture" that I do.

2 comments:

  1. Highly recommend The King's Speech. I thought it was going to be boring as hell and I can say that it was one of the best movies I've ever seen. The historical perspective was very well portrayed too. Well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that movie should be right in my wheelhouse. No excuse for not having seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete