Friday, January 26, 2018

Jordan Peterson

I first became aware of Jordan Peterson through Joe Rogan's podcast. I found him to be fascinating. A well spoken man with lots of intelligent things to say and advice and wisdom worth listening to. (In fact I may listen to that episode of the Joe Rogan Experience again this weekend.)

Recently of course Peterson had his now famous interview with the BBC. In that interview Peterson's poise and consistent message was contrasted by media that was blatantly trying to twist Peterson's words into both something he had not said and in most cases the exact opposite of what he had been saying. Poor Cathy Newman's career may never recover from being the butt end of endless Internet memes (like this one).

The Atlantic ran an article Why Can't People Hear What Jordan Peterson is Saying. The article serves as sort of an autopsy of the BBC interview but not quite a condemnation of media putting words into the mouths of interview subjects.

The Guardian had an interesting profile of Peterson and his new book 12 Rules for Life. The profile is worth reading. As for me I'm going to listen to that Rogan interview once again and I've already put 12 Rules for Life on my Amazon Wish List.

No comments:

Post a Comment