Monday, March 26, 2018

From Giddy-up to Ho! and Other Phrases

Heard someone say, "Everything from giddy-up to ho!" the other day. It was my first time hearing that phrase. I like it! It means from beginning to end and everything in between. It's much better than, "From soup to nuts." People are much more likely to ride a horse at some point than have a six or seven course meal these days.

Granted I don't have the opportunity to use "from start to finish" much but from now on I'm going to try to employ "Everything from giddy-up to ho!". As far as I'm concerned "From soup to nuts" is right out.

Speaking of phrases that don't seem to get used much anymore. Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented sliced bread in 1927 (actually the process for automatically slicing bread). This gave rise to the phrase, "the best thing since sliced bread." You don't hear that one much anymore. I wonder if that's because of people being on low carb diets and bread (sliced or otherwise) now being looked at as something bad. Or maybe with all the new technology in the past two decades the idea of sliced bread just isn't that impressive.

Maybe if it was made with 3-D printing?

No comments:

Post a Comment