Thursday, August 16, 2018

Enemy of the People (In Boston)

"Beware false prophets, who will come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits." Matthew 7:15-16
About 350 newspapers today will run coordinated editorials today telling President Trump that the media is not the "enemy of the people."  Apart from the obvious on how such a coordinated message kinda proves the bias of the press personally I know the press is the enemy of the people - at least in Boston.

I'm a huge sports fan and for years I was addicted to the Boston Globe sports section but as I got older I learned the ugly truth. The sports journalists in Boston are not to be trusted and for the most part I've weaned myself off all the major outlets (with the exception of a few trusted voices).

John Tomase literally made up lies about the New England Patriots and yet he's still gainfully employed. As far as I'm concerned as a fan of the New England Patriot's he's my enemy. Ron Borges besides being a plagiarist let his personal animosity towards Bill Belichick for choosing Tom Brady over close friend Drew Bledsoe bias ALL of his reporting. For decades he tainted whatever Boston media outlet he was associated with from the fans perspective. And don't get me going on Dan Shaughnessy who has been force-fed to Boston fans continuously. I consider the Curly Haired Boyfriend an "enemy". I could go on and on about Boston sports media who have broken trust with Boston sports fans.

And don't get me started on people like Felger & Maz and the dumpster fire that is Boston sports talk radio.

Now I'm supposed to read a coordinated editorial response and say "OK I'll trust the media to be unvarnished purveyors of the truth"? No thank you! You couldn't even handle honest reporting when it came to sports!

3 comments:

  1. Well said Chris. And it just gets worse when it comes to politics. My father knew way back in the 80's that the Globe and Channel 5 were tilted with their "reporting". Nothing's changed except more are biased now than ever and aren't honest at all with what they put out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike. Things have changed though. Fans now have more choices. I haven't bought a newspaper in years and that's not going to change. I consider myself a pretty middle of the road guy when it comes to politics but it pisses me off when sports writers insert their opinions into the article I'm trying to read on the Red Sox.

    Now I use Twitter to follow people I like and cherry pick what I read. Instead of sports talk radio I listen to certain podcasts where I know I'll be just getting sports or whatever topic the podcast I've chosen to listen to is discussing.

    Sick of the sportswriters bellyaching of "why should I have to stick to sports you can unfollow if you want". Well guess what - I have unfollowed. And when the next layoffs at the newspapers happen I won't shed a tear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You nailed it Chris. Well put.

    ReplyDelete