Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The Guardian's List of the 100 Best Books of the 21st Century


So here's The Guardian's list of the 100 best books of the 21st century. Normally you say "here's a list of books" and I say "I'm in - let's see the list." But this list bothered me.

I consider myself a reader but of 100 books listed I've only read three (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Moneyball, and Sapiens). And of the remaining 97 books only seven are currently on my reading wish list. I'm sure I'm probably missing out on some great books of the remaining 90 but which ones? I'm also thinking that in general the list really wasn't meant for a person of my "sensibilities" but for someone of more an Elitist English bent.

Honestly the list bothers me. So much so that when I got to the end and saw a plea from The Guardian for people to donate money to help them report on "the climate crisis" - I thought "well if you REALLY believe it is a CRISIS then you fuckers should stop publishing a newspaper on dead trees."

3 comments:

  1. At least they put one Pratchett book on the list, and it's a good one. I'd bet folding money that the majority are politically correct and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pratchett book isn't on my reading list but other Diskworld books are. Trying to read the series in pretty much the order it was published.

    Most I had never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading them in order is a good thing. You'll know when he really hits his stride, and he doesn't let up until dementia really kicked in.
    The fact that I hadn't heard of most of the authors, or the books, was kind of a giveaway.

    ReplyDelete