Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Last 5 Books I Bought

Here are the last 5 books I bought.

Drunk: How We Sipped, Danced, and Stumbled Our Way to Civilization by Edward Slingerland. This just arrived and I haven't had a chance to crack it open yet. 




The Bomber Mafia: A Dream, a Temptation, and the Longest Night of the Second World War by Malcolm Gladwell. 

Quick read, glad I read it but I can't recommend it. Surprised that Dan Carlin (of Hardcore History) enjoyed it so much.





Sadly I haven't had a chance to read this one yet either. So many good books and so little time.







Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. This book was interesting. I bought into the world-building and characters created by the author. However, one of my pet peeves is when an author uses a book just to set up the next book in the series. That's OK if you are reading Lord of the Rings and know it's part of a trilogy. Anne Rice used to do this in her vampire books and is why I stopped reading her and I'll probably not buy another Leigh Bardugo book for the same reason.





The Beginning of Infinity: Explanation That Transform the World by David Deutsch. This was a difficult book because of the subject matter but I felt myself getting smarter while reading it. I supplemented the text by listening to TokCast who did an interesting chapter by chapter podcast on the book. Unfortunately I left the book in the seat-back on a flight home from the US Virgin Islands when I was only half-way through it.

Time to get another copy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment