Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Death in Florida


I feel badly for the family of woman who died at Sea World. I really do. I'm also kinda sick of the "what do you want - it was a KILLER whale" quips. I have to agree though that the people making those quips have a point.

The Killer Whale is the foremost predator in the world. Not even close. And we think we can use them for our amusement with impunity? Have we become so disconnected from reality to think that? The Killer Whale is a wild beast. Now we are supposed to be surprised when it acts wild? Wasn't that supposed to be part of the attraction in the first place?

Lion tamers used to be the big thing when circuses where the main attraction across the country. It was the element of danger and the fact that a tamer could get these kings of beasts to do anything on command that was fascinating.

I've seen the show at Sea World and I was entertained. Very entertained. But the older I get the more I'm fascinated by what these majestic creatures do in the wild and the more I'm saddened to see them captured and confined for our entertainment.

And I agree that reports that give the animal human traits are just silly. What's next reports that Tilly's neighbors all agree that she was quiet and kept to herself?

No comments:

Post a Comment