Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Greetings from Ohio

Yesterday was what I'd call a "travel day". The most part of the day was spent either flying from Providence to Pittsburgh or driving from Pittsburgh to Columbus.

Wait - what? Driving from Pittsburgh to Columbus? Isn't that like flying into Boston just to drive down to New York City? Well - yes. But I have my reasons. The rest of my week is to be spent in the Pittsburgh area - and heck - I don't mind driving.

I do mind being tired and yesterday I was tired. Monday night I stayed up to watch the Steelers and Browns and I also stayed up to re-read the first Harry Potter book. Like driving from Pittsburgh to Columbus - re-reading a book you've read several times already on a night when you need your sleep because you're leaving for the airport at 6:30 am doesn't seem to make sense. Unlike the driving decision - I really can't explain this one. OCD maybe? I picked up the book and I just had to finish it.

The sports talk in Pittsburgh was about Ben Roethlisberger and his right shoulder. If this was politics - they would be calling it "shoulder-gate". Does Big Ben have a slightly separated shoulder? How could all of the reporters and bloggers in Steelers obsessed Pittsburgh have missed this story? The team is basically dismissing the NBC report. I actually feel bad for NBC. Roethlisberger told them he had a slightly separated shoulder - what are they expect to do?

The sports talk in Columbus is of course all about the ass-kicking the Ohio State Buckeyes received Saturday night at the hands of USC. The finger of blame is being pointed all over the place. Talk about fickle fans. Firing Jim Tressel won't change the fact that USC was just the better team. Having Chris Wells in the line-up wouldn't have changed that fact either. Can't Buckeye fans just accept that their team maybe isn't the greatest team in all of the land? From what I've heard on sports radio - I think not.

One observation to make from Saturday's ass-whipping. I can't help but think Michigan made the right move to go with Rich Rodriguez and his speed oriented offense. You saw what speed can do on Saturday. Even though Michigan may be down for a few years - if Rodriguez can get the speed he wants at the skill positions then Ohio State is in trouble.

If Michigan can get the type of speed Rodriguez wants and they start beating Ohio State with it - then you'll really start to hear the "fire Jim Tressel" demands. And maybe then they'll be warranted.

No comments:

Post a Comment