Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Derek Jeter and the Yankees

With Derek Jeter's performance last year and the discussion of him potentially moving from shortstop to another position I got to wondering about how settled the position was for the Yankees before Jeter took over. What I found is that the position was worse for the pre-Jeter Yankees than it has been for the post-Nomar Red Sox:

- 1995 Tony Fernandez
- 1994 Mike Gallego
- 1993 Spike Owen
- 1992 Andy Stankiewicz
- 1991-1989 Alvaro Espinoza

Look at that list and ask just who do people think will displace Derek Jeter at shortstop? There are no real options in the 2012 free agent class and what do they have in the minors? Eduardo Nunez? Cito Culver? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong - as a objective baseball fan I think that for all his faults Derek Jeter is by far the best option for the Yankees at short but as a Red Sox fan I hope this "controversy" continues throughout the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment