Monday, October 01, 2012

The Eiger Sanction



Just finished The Eiger Sanction by Trevanian. I happened to pick it up at a yard sale a few days and haven enjoyed the Clint Eastwood movie - thought I'd give it a shot. It was very enjoyable and the movie was very true to the book with a few minor differences. If you like the movie - I think you'd enjoy the book.

A couple of things I found amusing. The paperback copy I picked up said it was "The Cliffhanger of the Year." The book involves mountain climbing - I wonder if this pre-snark snark was intentional. The front cover blurb from the New York Times said, "Superior suspense... plenty of action, plenty of sex." Oh you highbrow New York Times you.

What is funny is that the book was written as a spoof while the movie is played as a straight action flick. The movie would have been better if some of the inside jokes were translated to the screen.