Saturday, October 27, 2012

Top 10 Comedy Screenplays

Ken Levine got me thinking with his post of what he considers the 10 best comedy screenplays of all time. I like Ken's list but my taste in humor must be very different because I came up with completely different choices. In order to stop thinking about the subject I decided to jot down my top 10. Here they are in no particular order:

The Thin Man
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Caddyshack
Groundhog Day
Fletch
Blazing Saddles
Catch 22
The Princess Bride
Airplane!
Being There

And for my 11th choice - Used Cars. Just missing the list My Man Godfrey, The Naked Gun, This Is Spinal Tap, and My Favorite Year. These lists are completely subjective but I think my list would stand up to anyone's.

2 comments:

  1. They're both good lists. Ken is looking at the writing, so he's fixated on dialogue, hence the plethora of older films, since they moved a lot faster.

    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I fart in your general direction.

    I also think it is generational. Event though The Thin Man is older than any of the movies on Ken's list my guess is that most of Ken's movies are movies he grew up with - that helped shape and form him. Same with my list. I'm younger than Ken so my list more reflects my formative years.

    ReplyDelete