Tuesday, January 21, 2014

New England Patriots

Sunday was a bad day for Boston sports fans. The Bruins lost to Chicago 3-2. the Celtics lost to Orlando 93-91 and the Patriots lost to Denver 26-16. It was that last loss that obviously hurt the most. Hurt so bad that yesterday was basically a sports free day for me. I avoided ESPN, sports radio and anything sport related on the Internet. I couldn't bear to relive the psychic pain.

I know the Patriots may have overachieved to get to the AFC Championship but I wanted more. I know that Boston fans have been blessed these past dozen or so years - but I wanted more.

Celtics fans are excited to have Brad Stevens as coach and to see what this year's NBA draft will bring the team. The Bruins are among the top 5 teams favored to win the Stanley Cup by Vegas and the fans are appropriately stoked. The Red Sox are defending World Series champs and pitchers and catchers report in about a month. But the Patriots lost - I wanted more.

The Patriots have won 3 Super Bowls but to spoiled fans like me that's not enough. The two losses to the Giants hurt. The loss to the Colts in the 2006 AFC Championship was a game the Patriots blew - not a game the Colts won. The Bears that year would have been smeared by that 2006 Patriots team. Even last year's AFC Championship game against the Ravens was a game that easily could have been won and given another Super Bowl possibility. Boston fans have 3 Super Bowls during the Brady / Belichick era but I wanted more.

Boston sports plans have been blessed. I know that - but I wanted more.

1 comment:

  1. Well said sir ... well said. I was thinking the same thing.

    ReplyDelete