Monday, April 15, 2024

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Recently read Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and enjoyed it very much. Happened to run across a copy in a book cooperative in Asbury Park NJ and was hooked. Before that I had seen the 1954 movie version of the same name with Kirk Douglas as Ned Land and James Mason as Captain Nemo but remember very little else. Had never even picked up the book before. Now I heartily recommend it (as brain candy only). It makes me want to pick up Edgar Rice Burrough's Tarzan once more. Loved that series as a kid but as an adult I'm afraid a work from an early age may prove to be too racist. Such was not the case with Rudyard Kipling's Kim (which I also recently re-read again and not as brain candy).

One thing I noticed was that the Nautilus was described as an all-electric vessel. This would make it the first EV described in history long predating the advent of an electric or gas power automobile.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the movie in the theater when it came out, and watched it again last year on DVD. I always remember Kirk Douglas singing "A Whale of a Tale" The Nautilus seemed to be powered by a nuclear reactor of some description, pretty advanced for a movie made in the 50s.
    I will have to read the book now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I barely remember the song but I do remember it being nuclear powered, Back when it was made nuclear power was all the rage. That's why it being electrical powered stood out

    ReplyDelete