Friday, March 21, 2008

Barack Obama

Barack Obama is all done. He'll probably squeak out the Democratic nomination but unless John McCain implodes - Obama has no chance in the general election. His core supporters think he did great with his speech on race but for everyone else the words "God damn America" will just stick in the craw. He's all done.

If I was Obama's political adviser I would have had him take a different tack against the Reverend Wright problem. I would have had Obama come out and say something like, "I have to make a confession. When I'm in church I'm not really paying attention to what the pastor is saying. I mean - I just zone out. I could be thinking about the Cubs starting rotation or I could be checking out the women in the congregation but honestly - I'm just not listening to the minster. I'm sorry. I know I should have been paying attention and if I had heard the reverend make some of those comments I would have done something. As it was I was just going to church to please my wife. I'm sorry."

For Obama to win the general election - he needs the support of the "typical white person" and right now the average white guy is kinda pissed off at Obama. However, if he took the tack I suggested he could have saved some ground with the average white guy - many of whom could relate to not really paying attention in church and going just to make the wife happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment