Sunday, August 04, 2013

A Patriot's History of the Modern World

The story of  Mitch Daniel's saying Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States is not to be taught in public schools as history made me think of A Patriot's History of the Modern World (From America's Exceptional Ascent to the Atomic Bomb: 1898-1945). The book was written by Larry Schweikart and Dave Dougherty. Schweikart also wrote A Patriot's History of the United States. I haven't read this one but have put it on my Amazon Wish List (feel free to give it to me as a gift if you like).

I doubt some students would like A Patriot's History of the Modern World as much as Howard Zinn's book because A Patriot's History is real history which means slow going on the reading as each page has facts and details (many of which surprised me and I feel like I know US history fairly well). Meanwhile Zinn's book is as easy going as reading Grimm's Fairy Tales (because the two books hold many things in common).

If you are a "blame America first" type person I doubt you'll appreciate the truth of A Patriot's History like how Progressivism was originally fired by a Liberal interpretation of Christianity (and now so-called Progressives want nothing to do with religion). Or if you want to know how the history of the income tax should effect what our discussion on taxation is today (those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it and all that).

Anyways - if you like US history then A Patriot's History of the Modern World should be on your reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment