Saturday, March 31, 2012

Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations.

I didn't win last night's lottery but if I did I had planned to purchase the mortgage on any home for any player from the 1978 Yankees or the 1986 Mets. God help them if they would have missed a payment... Happy 84th birthday to NHL legend Gordie Howe. In his honor here's Ilya Kovalchuk's Gordie Howe hat-trick from this past February... My mind works differently than others. Proof is this morning I found myself wondering if Marcus Camby was this generation's Caldwell Jones or if he's the black Alvin Adams... Jack Johnson was born on this day in 1878. For my money - Johnson is the greatest heavyweight champion of all-time. I think Johnson in his prime would destroy Ali or Tyson. Joe Louis? That would be a great fight... I've said it before but Keith Olbermann really stopped being taken seriously after Ben Affleck's devastating spot-on impression of him on SNL. He's been a joke ever since... On this day in 1917 the US took possession of the US Virgin Islands (formerly the Danish West Indies) after paying Denmark $25 million. Talk about great deals - that $25 million would be worth just $486 million in today's dollars (less than last night's lottery total)... If I owned a minor league baseball team - I'd publicly offer Keith Olbermann the job of public announcer just for the free PR the offer would generate...