Monday, January 05, 2015

Book Review - Killing Floor

The other night I watched the Tom Cruise move Jack Reacher for the second time. Obviously for me to watch it a second time - I must have enjoyed it the first time around. Watching the movie made me curious about the books. I knew there was a lot of controversy among Jack Reacher fans casting the diminutive Cruise as the hulking Reacher so I wanted to read the books for myself to see what the fuss was about.

I ordered Killing Floor the first Jack Reacher book by Lee Child. The book was a paperback with the blurb "See Jack Reacher now in his first major motion picture" on the cover and a new introduction by the author. In the new introduction Lee Child makes it clear that Jack Reacher is supposed to be 6'5". So I'm going out on a limb to say he wasn't pleased with the casting of Cruise as his hero (though going out on another limb I'm going to guess that Lee Child still cashed the movie rights check).

The book was enjoyable. It was Travis McGee / John D. McDonald-eque. Big hero who lives by his own rules finds himself at the center of a mystery that only he can solve and save the day. I will order a few more of the series but I'm going to have to space them out - too much candy rots the brain.

For what it's worth - Tom Cruise is scheduled to star in a second Jack Reacher move - Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (no release date).

No comments:

Post a Comment