Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Problem with the Movie The Firm

I saw this video clip this morning. I couldn't agree with the plot hole in Back to the Future more and I'm somewhat bothered that I didn't think of it myself.



That bit of comedy prodded me to write about something thats been bothering me lately - the obvious plot holes in the movie The Firm. I'm not talking about the suspension of belief required to see Tom Cruise as a genius lawyer either. I'm OK with that. What I'm not OK with is the fact that the FBI is concerned with money-laundering but couldn't give a damn about murder.

The two lawyers are killed in the Cayman Islands along with the son of the guy who runs the dive shop and nobody cares? "The Nordic Man" (that's what the albino-like killer is called in the credits) is positively ID'd by Barry Abanks (Sullivan Walker). Does the father want justice for his son's murder? No - he wants to help Mitch McDeere nail The Firm for white collar crime instead! Tammy Hemphill (Holly Hunter) sees her boss killed by "the Nordic man" and "the squat man" (that's how Dean Norris is listed in the credits). Does she want justice for the murder of her lover Eddie Lomax (Gary Busey)? No she wants to do secretarial work for Mitch McDeere instead.

Barry Abanks can positively ID the firm's hired killers; Tammy Hemphill was an eye-witness to the murder of Eddie Lomax and Mitch McDeere can testify that the murderers were in the employ of the firm's head of security, William Devasher (Wilford Brimley - who surprisingly is still alive - must be all that oatmeal). That's murder and conspiracy but what the heck - let's go with over-billing instead. Did they not have MURDER on the bar exam Mitch?

This bothers me. Just thought I'd share.

No comments:

Post a Comment