Sunday, May 14, 2006

Bush, Polls and History

Daniel sent me the link to this CNN poll. The crux of the poll is that the respondents found Bill Clinton superior in most areas to George Bush.

I don't put too much stock in polls like this. At this stage of his administration - Harry Truman was polling pretty poorly as well. The polls then would have had you believe that people were pining for the days of Calvin Coolidge never mind FDR.

The poll did remind me of a quote I read recently from Richard Allen (who I have become a big fan of). Back in 2002 Allen had this to say about how Ronald Reagan would be remembered:
What we do know is that when President Reagan passes, it will be one great national event. Even people who to this day can't stand him or his policies will say, "Well, I didn't like him, I didn't vote for him, but at least you knew where he stood." That was a very interesting thing that can't be said of all Presidents, certainly not about [Bill] Clinton.
When people look back at George W. Bush - they'll at least know where he stood.

No comments:

Post a Comment