Friday, November 07, 2008

The Dream

This morning I awoke to a strange dream.

I was outside the US Senate when I realized that I had to go in because I had been elected to Congress. Once inside the doors, the first person I saw was Nancy Pelosi. I was lost but didn't want to ask Nancy where to go because I really don't like her. Right away I spotted my friend Mike who is very political and who I gathered had also just been elected to Congress. He knew where we were supposed to sit - so I followed him.

I was seated just in time for a vote. It was announced that some babies can lift up to 75 pounds at just one year's of age and that these babies could be a danger if they started throwing things off bridges. I was handed a leaflet and a "Yea" vote for the proposed law banning babies from throwing things off of bridges.

"What a silly law - I can't vote for this," I thought. So I got up from my seat on the Republican side of the House to move to the other side to get a "Nay" vote. When going over to the other side I was approached by a woman who assumed I was coming over for the free chotsky's and swag they were handing out. I told her I just wanted a "Nay" vote but I kept the free stuff just the same (there were chocolate squares, nice pens and other good giveaways).

I then cast my "Nay" vote because in my mind it is already illegal to cause dangerous situations by throwing things off bridges. Why should babies of unusual strength be singled out?

Dreams are supposed to have symbolic meanings and I'm assuming that the following symbolism applied to my dream:

The stupid law on babies throwing stuff off of bridges represented how the Republicans in particular and Congress in general has wasted their time with trivial and stupid matters while not doing anything concrete or good these past 8 years.

The chotsky's represent political pork and me keeping the free giveaways represent how difficult it is even for the best intentioned to avoid the temptation of free stuff at the taxpayer's expense.

And me being in Congress in the first place represented for certain that we must be going to hell in a handbasket.

No comments:

Post a Comment