Saturday, April 14, 2012

Red Sox Magic Number - 158

The famous Murderer's Row of the 1927 Yankees which included Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig hit a combined 158 home runs. The Red Sox were supposed to have an excellent offense but I'm thinking that may have been an exaggeration. With Jacoby Ellsbury out for an extended period of time (at least 6 weeks it seems) that leaves Boston with just two players who are well above average offensively at their position (Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez). Sure Kevin Youkilis could rebound to have a healthy year where he hits close to .300 with 25 HR but that's hardly a lock. I'm guessing Vegas would take all the action it could lay its hands on that Youk won't hit 25 HR this season. Carl Crawford could also rebound to his normal productivity when he gets back but when I think wrist injuries I think Nomar Garciaparra who was never quite the same after he injured his wrist.

While I'm talking injuries - I hate to be "that guy" but one silver lining about Ellsbury's injury may end up being the fact the team didn't sign him long term before the season.

Why am I being a Debbie Downer? Maybe its because yesterday's 12 run outburst may have some people fooled into thinking this team will continue to be an offensive juggernaut. There are 5 players in the AL who have more HR than the Red Sox have as a team. The Magic Number is 158. That's the only thing this line-up has in common with a Murderer's Row offense.

That's all I'm saying.