Saturday, September 16, 2017

Top 5 - Harry Dean Stanton Roles

The iconic Harry Dean Stanton has passed away at age 91. And I felt compelled to write something about him. Some have described him as "legendary" but that just doesn't seem to fit. I mean Clint Eastwood and Jack Nicholson are legendary Hollywood actors. Harry Dean obviously wasn't in their class but there was clearly something about him. Anyway - here's what I consider my Top 5 favorite Harry Dean Stanton roles.

1. Repo Man - Bud
2. Escape from New York - Brain
3. Kelly's Heroes - Willard (as Dean Stanton)
4. Alien - Brett
5. Red Dawn - Mr. Eckert

Missing from the list is what many consider his masterpiece Paris, Texas. I haven't seen that movie and have no desire to do so (not sure what that says about my taste in movies but so be it). Also not on the list is The Green Mile because even though I've seen that movie a few times - I forgot Stanton was in it.

Stanton was a cool guy and obviously well-liked by his peers. When he made a cameo in The Avengers I remember thinking "cool - that's Harry Dean Stanton". It was like unexpectedly running into a favorite uncle. The thing is - as cool as Stanton was he wasn't the memorable scene stealer like a Christopher Walken or Dennis Hopper. Heck even in the movie Repo Man it's Tracy Walter as Miller who had the more memorable role.

This is in no way a knock on the memory of Mr. Stanton. It's just that it seems to over glorify his memory seems phony and diminishing in some way. There's nothing wrong with remembering him as he was - an iconic character actor who was a man of character.

And what better tribute could an actor ask for if when people see him on the screen they remember him by thinking "that guy was cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment