Wednesday, May 06, 2009

A-Rod: The Many Lives of Alex Rodriguez

Have you ever seen a movie trailer for a movie that looked really good because of the trailer only to see the movie and realize that you already saw all the good parts in the trailer and that the rest of the movie sucked? That's the vibe I get for Selena Roberts book A-Rod: The Many Lives of Alex Rodriguez.

Gordon Edes read the book so that I don't have to and he posted a rather amusing review of it. I was 100% on the quiz - so I think I can pass when it comes to either buying the book or even reading it if it came to me as a gift. However, if you are inclined to buy the book or give the book as a gift - hook a brother up and buy it from the link below.

A couple of random thoughts regarding the book:

1: Selena Roberts used anonymous sources to break the story that A-Rod was a steroids user in the first place - so I give her a break when it comes to the criticism that she relies too much on un-named sources. I would be disappointed to learn that most of the 65 or so sources claimed in the book were Hooters waitresses though.

B: Is anyone surprised that Kevin Brown was named as a performance enhancer cheat?

III: The part about tipping pitches I just don't buy. A-Rod isn't smart enough to pull it off; he'd need accomplices from other teams (and how would that stay quiet?) and heck - everyone knows what some pitchers like Mariano Rivera are going to throw anyway and people still can't hit the pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment