Sunday, May 24, 2009

June 15th

June 15th is the day when MLB teams can trade free agents they signed in the offseason. There is no "sign and trade" in baseball. Instead they have sign and wait period. I have to wonder if Jon Garland may be dangled to teams than need a 4th or 5th starter who can eat innings. Garland signed a one-year deal with the Diamondbacks for $7.25 million. For that kind of remaining money on the contract - if I were a GM - I think I'd rather take a gamble signing Pedro Martinez.

Brad Penny is another guy who could be available on June 15th but I'm starting to doubt the Red Sox will dangle him. Penny has had 4 quality starts in a row and is a favorite of owner John Henry. The Red Sox would probably only move Penny if they are 100% on the health of John Smoltz or if he can get a shortstop ready to help this season in return.

Speaking of Brad Penny - today's his 31st birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment