Friday, May 08, 2009

Bottom of the Ninth

I just received a copy of Michael Shapiro's book Bottom of the Ninth and the timing couldn't be better. I'm just finishing Shelby Foote's first volume of his Civil War narrative and I need to get away from the A-Rod's and Manny's of modern baseball back to what on the surface was a simpler time.

I'm sure that things were complicated back in the late 50's in baseball but in comparison to steroids and $2,500 seats at Yankee Stadium - I'm sure the story Shapiro puts forth will be a welcome respite back into baseball history.

By the way - Shelby Foote is a master storyteller and the first volume of his Civil War ranks as perhaps the best book of history I have ever read. I'll be sure to read the other two volumes but I need a bit of a break. Bottom of the Ninth may be just what the doctor ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment