Sunday, March 06, 2005

Blog Housekeeping

Just a few housekeeping items and comments.

First - the Blogroll. You may have noticed that I added a few new blogs. Among them were:

The Baseball Analysts

Grouchy Old Cripple

Political Musings

The Sports Prof

And I dropped one blog (sorry Keith - anytime you want to start your blog back up - you go right back on).

I haven't been too happy with Blogger lately because it seems there is now some sort of three plus hour delay between what I write and what shows up on my blog.

My TTLB Ecosystem tag seems to have disappeared through no action of my own. Here's a dirty little secret about becoming a "Large Mammal" in the TTLB Ecosystem; just join something like the Homespun Bloggers and the number of automatic links puts you over the top. The ecosystem has very little to do with the number of hits your site gets (I get about 200-400 visitors per day) and everything to do with the number of links. So you could have a blog with just 10 visitors a day and still become a "Large Mammal" by joining a "link cooperative".

Don't get me wrong. I didn't join The Homespun Bloggers for the "Large Mammal" designation. I joined it because it both gives me a wider audience and also puts a number of high quality blogs like Carpe Bonum at my fingertips. It also lets me know what blogs are updated.

I think most people realize that the key to a successful blog is quality info added at the very least daily. I try to have something here for the readers even when travel or other circumstances prevent any new content being added. My guidepost is the size of my blogroll. I try to add content to the site daily that is equal to the size of my blogroll - so the longer I make my Blogroll (from Google News down to The A-List) the more pressure I put on myself for new content.

Finally - soon I might be getting rid of the Amazon donation button because nobody has donated anything and as far as I can tell the only think it has been good for so far is to delay the loading time of my page.

No comments:

Post a Comment