Friday, April 11, 2008

The Second Law of Thermodynamics and Housekeeping

I'm in the process of reading The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of the Universe by Stephen Hawking. When speaking of the behavior of black holes - Hawking talks about the Second Law of Thermodynamics:
It states that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases with time. Moreover, when two systems are joined together, the entropy of the combined system is greater than the sum of individual systems.
My initial thought was of a post earlier this week at Instapundit which had the line:
Both the men and the women who got married did more housework than those who stayed single, the analysis showed.
Both black holes and newlyweds acting in the same manner? I guess when Stephen Hawking said it was "the Theory of Everything" - he wasn't kidding.

Of course I could be completely wrong here since my grasp of physics is as bad as my ability at house work.

No comments:

Post a Comment