Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Death of Labor Day

Growing up Labor Day was the defacto end of Summer. It was the last weekend (and a 3-day weekend at that) before school started and football took precedence in the sports mindset. It was a BIG deal! Now Labor Day is just "meh".

I'm not sure when it happened or even why it happened but across the country schools have thrown away the tradition of Labor Day being the end of summer and the signal for start of school. Now kids are back in school in August. Why? I don't get it. This change has killed Labor Day.

Yesterday I had business on Martha's Vineyard. I was able to get my car on a morning ferry with no reservation. I was set to have to leave my car in Woods Hole and be a pedestrian on the island but no - they had some openings for walk-ups like me. Years ago this would have been impossible.

Driving around the island I saw plenty of free parking spots at the various beaches I drove past (or stopped at for a quick dip in the ocean). Getting a parking spot used to be the biggest hassle. Today on the Friday staring the long Labor Day weekend plenty of free parking was available and the beaches were sparsely populated. And this wasn't due to high gas prices or anything due to the economy. This is because the kids have been back at school for over a week and the idea of a last big weekend of summer has been dulled and deadened by back to school and the responsibilities and activities that go along with that.

The teacher's unions and the education "experts" have killed the traditions of Labor Day and for what? Seriously - tell me what benefit to the kids exists by having an extra week off during the year or ending the school year earlier in June.

Big Labor Day cookouts? Those seem to be significantly down too.

This all struck me as I walked into the famous Black Dog in Vineyard Haven for dinner. Friday night on the start of the long Labor Day weekend and I get seated right away? Don't tell me its gas prices or the economy. The teacher's unions and no respect for tradition school administrators are killing an American institution.

And for what?

No comments:

Post a Comment