Monday, February 10, 2020

Blood and Soil in Narendra Modi's India

You could drive a tank through the gaps in my knowledge of India's politics and history. Seriously, if it has nothing to do with Kipling or with the history of Great Britain in India, then I probably know nothing about it.

That's why this New Yorker long-read Blood and Soil in Narendra Modi's India was such an eye-opener.

I know that the article has an obvious anti-Modi political bent but the facts about the Hindu majority's subjugation of millions of Muslims in India seems very fact driven.

Also buried in the story is the fact that India seems to be having a clean water crisis. Something that's also true in neighboring China. I would not be surprised if the treatment of Muslims and the clean water crisis becomes much bigger stories in the coming years for both India and China.

Maybe if Richard Attenborough narrated a documentary for the BBC on the plight then ignorant people like me would be better educated on the subject.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about Indian history either, and I'm not sure I learned anything by reading that article. All of it may be true, or none of it, it's hard to tell. The article is thinly sourced, full of brave journalists and secret agendas, and is probably meant to invoke a parallel with "Trumpism."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I kept having two thoughts while reading that:

    I really don't know anything about India and also I kept thinking "this is a really long fucking article!"

    ReplyDelete