Monday, October 23, 2023

Barbara Tuchman - A Distant Mirror

"The interval of 600 years permits what is significant in human character to stand out. People of the Middle Ages were under mental, moral, and physical circumstances so different from our own as to constitute almost a foreign civilization." - Barbara Tuchman A Distant Mirror

Currently reading A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman of Guns of August fame. Personally fascinated by this period of history which is even more significant given our pandemic. Tuchman tries to highlight the period through the life of one man, Enguerrand de Courcy VII. But due to the nature of history - he doesn't  make n appearance until Chapter 7. Will keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. I read it last year. It was quite a slog and I didn't enjoy it. YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding it a bit of a slog myself. Glad I'm not alone in thinking this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can compare notes when you're done. I write just a few sentences about each book I read. I was tempted to share mine with you - but I don't want to taint your experience.

      Delete