Monday, October 16, 2023

Top 5 - Michael Caine Roles

 

Yesterday was the anniversary of Michael Caine announcing he's retiring from acting and at his age who can blame him? Here's my favorite Michael Caine roles. (And a reminder - if you say say the words "my cocaine" you are also saying "Michael Caine" in his own accent.)

1. The Fourth Protocol as John Preston an English spy trying to outwit Pierce Brosnan's Russian agent. 

2. The Man Who Would be King as Peachy Carnehan opposite Sean Connery.

3. Secondhand Lions as Garth in this very underrated movie for which I have a soft spot.

4. As Alfred in the Chris Nolan Batman Trilogy

5. Harry Brown - Caine doing a Death Wish style action movie at age 77? Yes - very underrated.

Please note I'm too young to have seen Alfie and have never seen The Cider House Rules, and don't think Get Carter has aged well (even though it was later remade by Sylvester Stallone). Remember these are my favorite roles - your preferences are bound to be different. Would have liked to put his role as Laurence Jamieson in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the list but honestly never felt a desire to re-watch that flick.

6 comments:

  1. I have not seen The Fourth Protocol, so I can't disagree with your choices or rankings. Secondhand Lions is hugely underrated and underappreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised that "Zulu" is not on that list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zulu not on the list for the simple fact that I've only seen bits and pieces. Never saw it at the theater only on local TV broken up by awful commercials. Had to bail for that reason.

    Secondhand Lions very underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Secondhand Lions pulled me in totally. Excellent piece. And Zulu is on my list of top works. On the other hand, I don't know of anything I've seen of him that I didn't think was worthy of note. True talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Ipcress File and Sleuth were pretty good movies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would agree with both those choices. Goes to show how good and productive Caine was.

    ReplyDelete