Friday, July 31, 2009

Slice of Life

So I was in Minneapolis a while back and had some time to kill one night. I asked a friend from the area in my Boston accent if he knew of any poker bars because I was in the mood to play cards. He looked at me for a minute and then replied, "Try Nye's Polonaise it's close by to where you are staying."

So try Nye's I did. It was close by and it has a great reputation (named the best bar in America by Esquire). I was completely underwhelmed. I sat at the bar and asked the bartender if they played poker there (thinking there may have been a back room or another floor or something).

"Did you say poker?"

"Yeah poker - you know Texas Hold'em."

"Sorry no cards here."

"Hmmm... my friend told me that this was a poker bar."

"Maybe he was having fun with you. This is a polka bar."

Damn - me and my Boston accent - dropping the R's off words bit me in the ass that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment