Thursday, September 21, 2006

Bad News for Joe Lieberman

Regular readers know that I'm not a big fan of political polls because so often they are not just wrong but way off. However, I do have great respect for Vegas betting lines because the people coming up with the line are literally putting their money where their mouths are.

The most recent betting line on Joe Lieberman getting re-elected is not good news for Liberman. Back on August 24th the betting line was:

YES [winning the election] -$260
NO [losing election] +$175

Meaning you would have had to risk $260 to win $100 betting on Lieberman back then or risk $100 to win $175 on Lamont. For perspective - that is the type of line you would see if Notre Dame played Temple in football.

Today that betting line is down to:

YES [winning the election] -$135
NO [losing election] -$105

Meaning you would have to risk $135 to win $100 betting on Lieberman or risk $105 to win $100 on Lamont. This is just a little above even money (with even money being a -$120 line). For perspective - the latest line is the type of line you would see between the Steelers and Bengals this Sunday in football.

I am scratching my head as to why the odds have dropped so much. Has Lieberman said something really stupid lately? I can't explain the change in betting odds. If I were Joe Lieberman - I'd be worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment