Monday, January 16, 2023

North Dallas Forty

I agree that North Dallas Forty is a great sports movie. (I disagree that it's the best sports movie ever - that title belongs to Slap Shot which doesn't even make the writer's list). 

Just after the passing of Mac Davis, I too rewatched North Dallas Forty and was surprised how well it holds up. It really does give a good insight into the dynamics of the league works. The drugs, the contracts, the special status, everything.

What surprised me upon rewatching the movie after a couple of decades was my own perspective. As a young man I would have thought nothing of taking painkillers in order to keep playing the game and the opportunity to "get knee deep in a pile" at an orgy from time to time. Thought it was unfair the team used evidence of Phil smoking pot in order to kick him off the team. As a mature adult - I finally understood that Phil (Nick Nolte's character) was cut from the team for sleeping with the owner's brother's fiancée. You can't do that.

North Dallas Forty is worth a rewatch if you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment