Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Damning Praise?

After I read this piece in ESPN.com on Hank Aaron's thoughts on Barry Bonds - I was left thinking of Lyndon Johnson saying something like, "Now I'm not going to say that my opponent has relations with his farms animals."

Johnson didn't say that his opponent had sex with pigs or sheep but that was the impression you got from the comment. After reading Aaron's comments - I was left with the impression that Aaron has no doubt that Bonds used/uses steroids. Am I wrong? Let's take a look at what Aaron said;

Aaron said he would "let the public judge for themselves," whether Bonds' records should be tainted. Keep in mind that as an executive associated with a MLB club - Aaron is subject to Bud Selig's gag order on the issue. What he said could easily be paraphrased, "Now I'm not going to say that Barry Bonds abuses steroids..."

"I'm just hoping and praying nothing comes up," Aaron told the newspaper. "I admire Barry Bonds. Steroids or no steroids, he would have had a Hall of Fame career." Steroids or no steroids? You know Aaron must be thinking "Of course he's on steroids - just look at him!" To put it into Lyndon Johnson speak, "Farm animal sex or no farm animal sex - my opponent would make a fine candidate for office."

Finally - Aaron goes out of his way to say that he thinks Alex Rodriguez is a better player. Alex Rodriguez who no steroid rumors have tainted is a better player to Aaron. Read into it want you want but I'm not going to write that Barry Bonds took steroids or had sex with farm animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment