Monday, August 01, 2005

Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations.

The spell check on blogger wants me to substitute "faders" for the word "Padres". Given how badly the Padres have played this month - I think blogger may be right... Sean Connery says that he turned down the chance to play Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings. I think he would have been a great Gandalf but it is probably for the best that he didn't take the role. His star power may have taken away from the overall dynamics of the films... Al Gore's TV network makes its debut today. Talk about interactive TV makes me think of Dora the Explorer or Blues Clues for adults. I'm trying to give Current TV the benefit of the doubt but I think I'd be more likely to tune into Fark TV... Part of me thinks the criticism of baseball GM's who did not make any trades yesterday stems from reporters who were looking forward to talking about (i.e. ripping) the trades in todays newspapers and radio shows... I have to admit though - yesterday's trade deadline did have a Geraldo Rivera and Al Capone's Vault sort of build-up and disappointment to it. Whither AJ Burnett, Soriano and Schmidt? Nowhere - that's whither.... One aspect of the potential trade of Manny Ramirez that should have been discussed somewhere was how this would affect the Red Sox in the eyes of Dominican Republic players. Last year with Pedro, Manny and Ortiz - the Sox were THE team for Dominican players to root for and dream about playing for. The Sox lost a good chunk of that cache when Pedro signed with the Mets. Trading Manny would have undid more of the hard work the Sox scouts have been doing in the DR...

No comments:

Post a Comment