Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Thoughts on Imus

Greg wondered why I haven't written anything about Don Imus' comments. I guess the reason is because the subject combines two things which independently I care very little about (Don Imus and women's college basketball - hey I'm being honest here). Let me explain.

Don Imus is a mean-spirited prick. I don't think anyone who has ever listened to the Imus show is surprised that he could say mean and hurtful things about anyone. As Phil Mushnick has said about the people shocked by what Imus said, "Where have you been?" Imus says hurtful stuff like "nappy headed ho's" every day but he passes it off as "comedy". I would be shocked if he didn't use those same words to describe the girl who accused the Duke lacrosse players for example.

Now I'm not a huge women's basketball fan and I kind of resent that women's basketball is almost forced upon the sports viewer on TV (whether it be college basketball or the WNBA). I feel bad for the Rutgers players but I also feel bad for the Tennessee players because they were this year's champions but the news of their victory was nothing compared to the amount of ink and newsprint being spent over what Imus said about the Rutger's players.

I've also been silent on the matter because I'm more than a little bit disgusted with the media coverage. The MSM loves them a victim and it loves them a powerful person they can pull down from a pedestal. If you doubt the MSM loves a victim - Google "Jessica Lynch" and then do the same for "Brian Chontosh". Combine that with the fact that lowlife's like Al Sharpton get to play the race card - well you have a frenzy on your hands. I'm not sure about you but as soon as I hear that Al Sharpton is involved with a story - my mind flashes a neon sign that says "Send in the clowns."

To summarize - Don Imus is a mean-spirited prick who said something hurtful about some girls who had been toiling in obscurity and their cause has been picked up by people who have no credibility. The only people with any socially redeeming qualities here are the Rutger's players and now they've said their peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment