Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations.

Carlos Beltran went 1-4 with 1 RBI and 1 run scored on the Mets Opening Day. Meanwhile John Buck and Mark Teahen went a combined 4-8 with 1 HR, 2 RBI and 2 runs scored in their Opening Day. Buck and Teahen were the main chips acquired by the Royals when they traded Beltran away in mid-season 2004. Beltran will make $14 million this year while Buck and Teahen are getting peanuts. I know its just one game but I like keeping an eye on stuff like this... Historically this is the day that Jesus died in 33 AD. I feel kinda guilty for leading with the tidbit on Beltran now... I don't feel guilty at all for flipping between the NCAA Championship game last light and the Sopranos on A&E. The game just didn't have that certain level of excitement to keep me glued. Plus Billy Packer was announcing. If Pauly Walnuts announced the game - then I probably would have recorded it and kept it for ever... Character actor Warren Oates also died on this day in 1982. I remember Oates mostly for playing Sergeant Hulka in the movie Stripes... Maybe just as impressive as the fact that Florida won back-to-back titles is the fact that the basketball team will also be one of only 3 teams who made this year's tournament who will graduate all their senior athletes. The other two were Holy Cross and Weber State... Tying the the deaths of Jesus and Warren Oates together - let me offer this thought for the day - A life without meaning is like a foot without a big toe. And Jesus is always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe - Jesus....

No comments:

Post a Comment