Friday, April 20, 2007

Red Sox / Yankees - Live Blog

Well I really haven't posted much this week but since I was in Vegas - I'm sure you'll understand.

To make up for the lack of blogging - I'll be live blogging tonight's Red Sox / Yankees game while I do some paperwork and basically putz around my home office. Tonight has Curt Schilling going up against Andy Pettitte and I think if the Yankees are going to win a game in this series that tonight is their best shot since Pettitte is a career 5-2 with a 2.98 ERA in his starts at Fenway.

(6:44) I enjoy Jack Welsh's books but good God is he annoying on NESN. Does he have naked pictures of John Henry or something? I don't know anyone who doesn't think he's plain awful doing those appearances on NESN. Before the series starts here are my two predictions; 1) if the Yankees lose tonight then they get swept and 2) look for Manny Ramirez to have a monster series (and conversely for A-Rod to come up small and the talk about him being Mr. April to start back up in earnest). Somebody please get Jack Welsh off my TV set.

(6:57) Interesting version of the national anthem using Taiko drums. I love the sound of those drums but they always make me think of the Michael Crichton movie Rising Sun where the Japanese were going to take over America. I also think the wearing of the Virginia Tech logo on the shirts and hats of the Red Sox is a very nice tribute. No surprise that Jason Varitek was behind the idea.

(7:14) Imaginary conversation in my head:
Joe Torre: Last week we made the comment that A-Rod comes into the season like a lion but usually goes out like a lamb. Now here to reply is our captain of intangibles, Derek Jeter, with a report update.

Derek Jeter: Thank you Joe. Well, another April is almost over and A-Rod true to form has come in like a lion, but hopefully will not go out like a lamb. However, that’s how A-Rod usually works here in the Big Apple.

But did you know that A-Rod behaves differently in other countries? In Norway, for example, A-Rod comes into the season like a polar bear and goes out like a walrus. Or, take the case of Honduras where A-Rod comes in like a lamb and goes out like a salt marsh harvest mouse.
(7:44) Yankees take a 1-0 lead on a couple of lead-off singles, a bunt and a ground out. The home plate umpire is Randy Marsh. I wonder if he has a son Stan and is from Colorado? Neither the Red Sox or Yankees seem happy with Randy Marsh.

(7:58) NESN has Bob Cousy in to talk during the bottom of the third inning. I love listening to Cousy talk and I'm glad the Red Sox are honoring Red Auerbach by wearing the green uniforms tonight. Remy should have asked Cousy if he grew up as a Yankees fan though since Cousy is from New York City originally.

(8:07) A-Rod starts off the 4th with his 11th HR which is hit into the Monster Seats over the left field wall. So much for wishful thinking that A-Rod would go into the tank this series or go out of April like a salt marsh harvest mouse. Speaking of Monster Seats - I'll be adding the Red Sox blog MonsterSeats.com to my blogroll. The over/under for tonight's game was 9 runs. I thought that was a good bet but I never touch the Red Sox / Yankees games because you never know what's going to happen.

(8:28)
Jason Varitek ties the game with a 2-run HR. Varitek has been killing lefties this season hitting .571 so-far and career he was at .361 against Andy Pettitte in particular going into the game. Varitek only has a .241 batting average against the Yankees in his career but it sure does seem he comes up with hits in big situations.

(8:44) A-Rod is on fire! The fastest to 12 HR in MLB history (according to NESN). The Yankees go up 5-2. I give Coco Crisp props for going all-out trying to catch that HR from A-Rod. Conversely - I have to wonder why JD Drew is playing so deep in right. Schilling looks to be tiring and I'd like to change my mind on the chances of this game going under 9 runs. Damn - I only have one beer left in the fridge!

(8:58) Running out to the package store - let me know how many books NESN pimps while I'm gone. (I know that's harsh and that I respect the hell out of Bob Woodruff but what was with the Big Papi autobiography infomercial?)

(9:10) I was feeling bad for being so curt in that last post but then I come back and the first thing I see is the gorgeous Hazel Maye talking about Big Papi's book. Now I think pimp was exactly the right word. Meanwhile - Jason Varitek gets a single and my God-honest first thought was "Now he's just a double and triple away from the cycle." (Hey - it could happen.)

(9:40) Yankees are up 6-2 and I'm about to check the channel guide to see what else is on. Don't get me wrong - even though the Red Sox are losing - I'm very content. I have my cold beer and salted peanuts and what the heck - gunga-lagunga - you can't win them all. I am hoping that whoever is pitching for the Red Sox plunks A-Rod the next time he comes up (I'd even settle for plunking Jeter).

(10:00) I think I'd find it easier to like the smell of Sex Panther cologne than liking the Yankees. The Red Sox climb to within 3 runs on Mike Lowell's single. Fans who have Mariano River on their fantasy teams are happy with what is now a save opportunity while those who took the over in tonight's game are happy with at worst a push. People who took the under are rooting for Rivera to close out the game (even some Red Sox fans). That last bit is why I don't bet on the the teams I root for very often. Conflicts of interest arise and its no longer fun action.

(10:08) Wow! Coco Crisp triples in two runs to tie the score at 6-6! Alex Cora comes up big once again for the second time in two days - singling in Crisp from third! Red Sox lead 7-6.

(10:16) Hideki Okajima comes in to close the 9th inning. Too bad those Taiko drummers aren't still around. It would be great to have them beating those drums between pitches. How cool would that be? Okajima was born on Christmas Day in 1975. Here's hoping he delivers an early Christmas present for Red Sox fans tonight.

(10:29) Okajima saves the game! The Red Sox win. Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Red Sox win!

No comments:

Post a Comment