Saturday, June 17, 2023

Albert Camus' The Plague

I've read Albert Camus' The Plague a few times now - the most recent being the at the beginning of the pandemic and lockdown (seemed appropriote). Spoiler alert - you don't find out the narrarator is actually the doctor until the end. 

Now that JFK Jr. spoke about the novel on the Joe Rogan podcast - I may have to read it again. Was I misinterpreting it all along?

RFK Jr. argues the book is about duty while I've always interpreted it to be about responsibility. Maybe this is just semantics and they're basically the same thing? I've always disliked the Existentialists because most are morons who think turning tricks with words is clever but I've always had a soft spot for Camus. Glad to learn he objected to the title of "Existentialist."

Anyway - time to reread The Plague. And, BTW, I understand why many coming out of WW II did not believe in God. I don't blame them.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:16 AM

    I bet they believed in hell, having made it through alive.
    juvat

    ReplyDelete
  2. That I can believe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a theory that god is the collective subconscious of all the people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Einstein that Spinoza had it right about God. We all fall in line with your theory.

    ReplyDelete