Monday, February 14, 2005

Inside the Bloggers Studio - Special Guest Big Stupid Tommy

In what I hope will be a series of interviews, I will be speaking (well emailing to be more correct) with a number of bloggers whose work I enjoy and admire. First up - Tommy from Big Stupid Tommy.

ALR: The name of your blog is Big Stupid Tommy and while I'm willing to believe that you're a big guy (I understand that if you were a woman you would do most of your clothes shopping at Lane Bryant) and I'm also willing to believe your name is Tommy but based on the intelligence and wit evident in your writing I can't believe you are anything near stupid. Why do you feel the need to call yourself stupid? Is this some sort of Chris Farley deal?

BST: Here's an answer on a couple of levels.

We live in a world that takes itself entirely too seriously. Where it's absolutely the worst thing, it seems, to be seen as "stupid." I wish I could say the title's meant entirely in the ironic.

I kinda use stupid as a synonym for silly. See, I also tend to take myself too seriously, too. It's partly intended as both an ego check, and as a reminder that it's okay (important even) to go out and just be silly and stupid.

The name arose from a conversation I'd had with a friend, over something my boss had told me earlier in the day. I was frustrated that things at work were moving in what I believed to be an ass-backward fashion. My boss said that if I expected everything change overnight, "that's just stupid Tommy." The words "Stupid Tommy" kept bouncing in my head as I seethed.

The conversation with a friend created a characature of sorts, called "Big Stupid Tommy."

I'd recently been shown Blogger. Like, that same day, literally. When I went to start my own blog, I just called it "Big Stupid Tommy" because it was what was bouncing around in my head at the moment.

I've also kept it for so long because it seems to catch a reader's eye somewhat easily.

ALR: If you don't mind me saying - your writing is very good. Are you a professional writer or did you have any college training in journalism or writing?

BST: I went to MTSU for its Journalism program, but I tend to think I write well in spite of everything I learned there.

I am currently not being paid on a regular basis to write.

ALR: You live in Tennessee and yet are a big Cubs fan. How did that come about?

BST: Where we lived at the time, we had the cable TV. I started getting into baseball in a serious fashion around seven or eight, and WGN would be showing Cubs games when I got home from school, and during the day in the summertime, when there was no school. I don't know what bred the loyalty, but following the Cubs is pretty much the only thing I've done on a consistent basis for the past 20 years.

ALR: Three part question; how long have you been blogging, do you remember the first person you put on your blogroll and do you still check out that person's blog on a regular basis?

BST: I've been blogging since November of 2002.

I'd say my friend Bill's blog was the first I put on my regular blogroll (he's currently at Evil Hippy)

I still read it. He updates just a couple of times a week, so that's about how often I check it.

ALR: In your opinion - who has had a greater effect on modern American culture - Arthur Miller (Death of a Salesman) or Andy Griffith (The Andy Griffith Show)?

BST: In the short term, Andy Griffith. Fifty years from now, when TV's been relegated to pretty much the same status of vaudeville, the answer will be Arthur Miller.

But I think if you went out and told Joe America that Arthur Miller died, they'd say "That was my favorite cop show, right next to Andy Griffith."

ALR: What is your favorite all-time movie? Your favorite all-time book?

BST: The original Star Wars is still my favorite movie, though there's a special place in my heart for Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment.

My favorite books are Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mr. Twain, though there's a special place in my heart for the novelization of Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment.

ALR: If you were on death row and were about to be executed - what would you request for your last meal?

BST: I did a post about it a while back, some where a ways back.

But for the purposes of this question, after having eaten myself stupid on burgers this weekend, I'll say that a plate full of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups might be cool to gorge on if you're going out.

Failing that, half a barbecued chicken, corn on the cob, garlic mashed potatoes and a big giant glass of sweet tea.

ALR: What other occupation other than your own would you like to attempt?

BST: If I could just snap my fingers and make it happen, I'd like to be play by play guy for the Chicago Cubs. Or for World Wrestling Entertainment.

ALR: What's your favorite curse word?

BST: Shit.

I think it just fits my personal viewpoint better than any other curse word. When I say it out loud, when I'm really torqued, it comes out in two syllables...shiyit. The closest I've ever heard anybody come to my pronunciation is in the movie Major League, when Jake tanks a throw to second base when he's trying to prove he's still got the goods to be in the majors.

Plus, I like that it can be used as a noun, verb, adjective or an adverb, as well as the good old curse.

ALR: Thank you Big Stupid Tommy. If any of our audience members have questions for Tommy - please leave them in the comments and Tommy will stop by and answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment