Saturday, February 19, 2005

Nomar Garciaparra

When an athlete of Nomar's stature leaves a team often times the fans will turn on the player. I don't think Boson fans will turn on Nomar and I know I will be wishing him the best this year. Personally, I think he could put up .310 / 25 HR / 100 R / 100 RBI type numbers for the Cubs this year.

One thing I thought interesting is the fact that Nomar may end the season out of the top 10 in most of the Red Sox all-time statistical categories and that surprised me.

Batting Average: 4th with a .323 career mark (Manny Ramirez is 5th at .321 and could concieveably knock Nomar down a peg but Nomar should be in the top 10 for a long, long time)

Doubles: 8th with 279 (nobody will come close to knocking him out of this top 10 for years)

HR: 9th with 178 (Manny will probably bump him down to 10th by the end of the season and either Trot Nixon or David Ortiz will eventually bump him out of the top 10 alltogther)

Total Bases: 10th with 2194 (he's safe for a couple of seasons because Manny is the next closest active player with 1286)

Slugging: 4th all-time with s .553% (this will stand for a long time)

Nomar played 9 seasons for the Red Sox and for many clubs his numbers would have put him at the top of all their all-time stats. I was just surprised that Nomar wasn't top 10 in more categories for the Red Sox.

No comments:

Post a Comment