Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Lileks for FCC Chairman Update

First off let me confess that the idea was tongue-in-cheek to begin with. I knew that Lileks would never take the job but I also felt that he was perfect for it. It was a Catch-22 thing from the get-go. Anyway here's what he had to say about the petition to make him FCC Chairman in today's Bleat:
This is why I noted with horror and amusement a comment-section posting that nominated me for FCC chairman; I could only disappoint everyone. As I think I said a year ago, my objection to the wardrobe malfunction wasn’t the (shock!) sight of a unholstered bosom on (gasp!) TV, it was A) the dank crude stupid nature of the routine coupled withB) teat-deployment where no teat-deployment had been expected. Save it for cable, that’s my motto. Is that such a horribly confining request?

This is why I would disappoint some as FCC chairman. Yes, you can show that on Carnivale. No, you cannot show Carnivale on broadcast. Yes, I watch it. No, it’s not hypocritical, for the same reason that one can unroll the effenheimer in all its glorious manifestations when you’re at a bar with buddies, and dasn’t blue the air with shiesty oaths when the kids are present. Context counts.
You can still sign the petition here. Even though he wouldn't take the job if asked - even Lileks would admit that it is nice to have people think of him in this light.

No comments:

Post a Comment