Thursday, February 10, 2005

Angels and Demons

I recently read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons which is the prequel to his blockbuster The DaVinci Code.

Two of my brothers have read both books and both swear that Angels and Demons was the better book. I did not feel that way.

Now I love the idea of a hero like Robert Langdon who is half Joseph Campbell and half Indiana Jones and I kept turning pages to see what came next but the suspension of belief in this book was just too much. At times near the end I literally put the book down to say to nobody in particular, "this is just silly." If you've read the last third of the book you know exactly what I mean.

For those who haven't read the book - the crux of the plot is an anti-matter bomb that is set to destroy Vatican City unless Robert Langdon can stop it. That's the believable part.

Angels and Demons is a page turner and it is good entertainment but I just wasn't drawn into the book the way I was with The DaVinci Code. I'd give it three stars out of five.


No comments:

Post a Comment