Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Commercial that Could Have Won New Hampshire

After some further thought - here is a commercial that I think could have completely changed the results of the New Hampshire primaries. I would have started running this commercial starting last Friday in both New Hampshire and in South Carolina.
Mitt Romney: [steps to center of stage] I'm Mitt Romney and I'm running for President. On Tuesday there will take place a very important vote in New Hampshire.

Barack Obama: [steps to center stage beside Romney] I'm Barack Obama and I too am running for President. Mitt and I come from different worlds and we hold different beliefs on many important matters. However, there are two areas where we are in full agreement.

Romney: We both agree that it is important the citizens of New Hampshire get out to vote on Tuesday. The United States is a beacon of Democracy in the world and the eyes of the world will be on New Hampshire on Tuesday.

Obama: The right to vote is not something to be taken lightly. Sure Mitt and I would both prefer that you check our names when you enter the polling station but the important thing is to get out Tuesday and exercise one of our great symbols of freedom. The right to vote.

Romney: We are in bi-partisan agreement on that Obama. And I think we also agree on another matter.

Obama: Yes Mitt. On Tuesday there will be another important election. The Baseball Writers of America will announce the results of their votes for election to the Hall of Fame. Both Mitt and I want to urge any baseball writers out there to make sure you do the right thing and vote for Red Sox legend Jim Rice.

Romney: During his career Jim Rice was the greatest player in the American League and Barack and I urge you to vote #14 into the hall in this his 14th year of eligibility.

Jim Rice: [stepping to center stage to stand between Romney and Obama] I'm Jim Rice and I approved this message.
This commercial would have changed the dynamics of the election and swung enough die-hard Red Sox fans to vote for Mitt and Barack instead of Hillary and McCain. If people doubt the power of pandering to Red Sox Nation in New England then I guess they missed the commercials John McCain constantly ran featuring Curt Schilling. Heck if Barack really wanted to win in New Hampshire - all he had to do was circulate those pictures of Hillary wearing a Yankees hat.

The Jim Rice ad would have had the added benefit of helping in South Carolina where Rice was born and raised and still looked up to as one of the great athletes in the history of the state and easily one of the top 5 baseball players in the history of South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment