Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mitt Romney

With his victory in Michigan last night - Mitt Romney has become the front-runner for the Republican nomination for President. I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that I'm on record of predicting a Romney victory - back in June of 2004 when almost nobody was talking Mitt Romney - I predicted that he'd be the Republican nominee.
Keep this in the back of your mind: Mitt Romney will be the Republican Candidate for President in 2008. He has excellent name recognition from his work on the Salt Lake Olympics and he has bases of support in the Rust belt (his dad was Governor of Michigan), the East (he is Governor of Massachusetts) and the West (he owns Utah after saving Salt Lake from humiliation). He also will not have any trouble raising money.
If I were working for the Republicans - I would suggest they spin the "three states to three different people" as a sign of strength. Some talking heads are trying to spin this as a sign of fracture within the Republican Party but I would compare it to the SEC in football. I'd say that the Republican Party is just like the SEC having a number of football teams capable of winning the National Championship. This comparison should resonate in South Carolina home to the Gamecocks whose victory over Georgia may have cost Georgia a shot at the National Championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment