Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Player Comparison

I wanted to make this player comparison this week.

Player A - 1,391 hits / 225 HR / .290 BA / .856 OPS / 118 OPS+

Player B - 1,747 Hits / 229 HR / .313 BA / .882 OPS / 124 OPS+

Player A is Troy Tulowitzki who announced his retirement this week while Player B is Nomar Garciaparra. I make this comparison because of the talk (not a lot granted) of if Tulowitzki is a Hall of Fame Player. I would simply state that if Nomar isn't a Hall of Famer then neither is Tulo.

Interestingly enough both players finished their careers withe the exact same 44.2 career WAR. And that's not where the similarities end.

Tulo finished with 5 All-Star game appearances, 2 gold Gloves and 2 Silver Slugger awards. Nomar had 6 All-Star game appearances, won 2 AL Batting Titles and 1 Silver Slugger. While both players were greats for their time - I don't think you could make a real Hall of Fame argument for either player.

3 comments:

  1. Kind of surprising that Nomar was the better power hitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of Coors Field? Or because BaseballReference,com lists Nomar at just 165 pounds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I just didn't realize he had better numbers. I didn't see Nomar play much (NL guy here) and just assumed Tulo had more power. I guess I forgot how good Nomar really was.

    ReplyDelete