Friday, September 13, 2019

Steppenwolf

Recently reread the book Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse. I was surprised by how much my perspective had changed since I first read the book about 25-years ago.

Back then I was struck by the seize the moment lesson of the book (and the sex). Transcend the ordinariness of life through experience and indulgence in what gives pleasure. I was probably more wolf than man back then - perhaps.

This time what struck me first and foremost was that Harry Haller, aged 50, was contemplating suicide because he thought that life after 50 was pointless. (Hey I'm in my early 50's and having the best time of my life!) This time I was struck by the message of Steppenwolf listening to Mozart laugh because in the end everything is entropy. So may as well enjoy the ride.

It's amazing how much your perspective changes over the years. Now it's time to reread Hesse's Siddhartha.


No comments:

Post a Comment